Saturday, July 27, 2013

Unexpected Impact

When you started Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, or whatever combat sport you practice, I bet you had an idea about what would happen along the way?  I thought that I would practice for a few years, be better than everyone else, then start to create champions as the best coach ever!  Boy was I in for a big disappointment!  It's been 10 yrs, and I'm still no where close to being better than everyone, or being the best coach...but I'm much better today than I was at the beginning.  Hopefully much better!
In my mind I thought I'd win every tournament and have an army of adult students begging to follow my instructions for how to duplicate my amazing feats!  Needless to say, it has not gone down exactly like that.  Life is good though...I won some local tournaments and medaled at a few big ones, but no glory just yet.  At least not for me.  My kids have done well though, extremely well actually, and that means more to me than any personal accomplishment I could have.  I saw it somewhere that a teachers impact is unmeasurable.  No one can see how far the impact goes into the future.  That idea keeps me going...pushing to be the best coach/teacher I can!
Never in a million years did I think that my future would involve training kids in any way, let alone having it be the big focus of what I do, but life is strange that way...one day I was a scared kid myself returning from war just trying to find my way, and the next day I'm the head instructor of a bunch of kids whose families look to me and my team to have a positive impact in the upbringing of their children.  It has forced me to grow up and be accountable more than any other thing I have done with my life.  I used be opposed to
the idea of being some sort of role model to kids because I have children of my own and setting the example for them is enough of a challenge.  Now, I love it!  It pushes me towards being the type of person I know I can become.  To better my diet, to train the way I advise the kids to train, to learn from my mistakes and keep my head up.  It makes me want to be around people that inspire me and keep me smiling...and I didn't even expect it at all!
What unexpected impact have you felt from your training?  Who has challenged you to step outside of your comfort zone and do something bigger than yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment